Using the Internet in Chemical Education
Gary D. Howard Memorial Symposium
Innovations in Chemical Education
October 17, 1998, UNC-Charlotte
Presider: Brian M. Tissue, Department of Chemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg VA 24061-0212, email@example.com
- Discussion of how participants are currently using the Web.
- Presentation by B. Tissue.
Finding Web Resources
Search Tools and Annotated Indices
- AltaVista: Main Page - http://www.altavista.com/
- A brute force search of the Internet.
- Google - http://www.google.com
- A research-oriented brute force search of the Internet.
- ChemDex - http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/chemdex/welcome.html
- A well-organized index of chemistry on the Internet by Mark Winter, University of Sheffield.
- UniGuide Academic Guide to the Internet - http://www.aldea.com/guides/ag/attframes2.html
- A comprehensive Internet guide for the higher education community. Each selected site has been reviewed for appropriateness by a staff of librarians and content experts.
- SciEd: Science and Mathematics Education Resources - http://www-hpcc.astro.washington.edu/scied/science.html
- A comprehensive Internet guide for science by Alan Cairns, Univ. of Washington.
- The Scout Toolkit Homepage - http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/toolkit/index.html
- Searching information, also has web tools.
Some Useful Chemistry Resources
- ACS DivCHED Home Page - http://divched.chem.wisc.edu/divched/
- Information about the American Chemical Society Division of Chemical Education, including upcoming chem-ed conferences.
- Chemical Education Resource Shelf - http://www.umsl.edu/~chemist/books/index.html
- A complete listing of chemistry textbooks and chemical education journals by Hal Harris, Univ. of Missouri-St. Louis.
- CONFCHEM: On-Line Conferences on Chemistry Education and Research - http://www.chem.vt.edu/confchem/
- Home page of ongoing on-line chemistry conferences.
- Welcome to the NIST WebBook - http://webbook.nist.gov/
- Thermodynamic data and infrared and mass spectra. Searchable by chemical name and formula.
- ChemFinder Searching - http://chemfinder.camsoft.com/
- Search page to find information about chemicals.
- ACD: Free Stuff - http://www.acdlabs.com/download/
- ChemSketch 3.5 Freeware (Win), all-purpose chemical drawing and graphics software.
- Overview of chemical mailing lists - http://bionmr1.rug.ac.be/
- E-mail discussion lists that deal with chemistry. Maintained by Kris.Boulez@rug.ac.be.
- Chemistry journals - http://www.chemconnect.com/library/journals.shtml
- A comprehensive list of chemistry journals, and parts of journals, that are available on-line.
- Science and Engineering Indicators: 1998 - http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/srs/seind98/start.htm
- A good example of the use of different formats and HTML layouts.
Creating Web Pages
A useful technique to learn about HTML is to look at the source code of a page using Page Source under the View menu.
To work with style sheets view the files in a directory, and download the *.css file by right clicking on the file and choosing Save Link As....
To edit these pages, right click on the link and choose Open Link in Composer.
For references see the resources below or the HTML 4.0 specs at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/.
Frames and Interactive Web Pages
HTML Information and Tools
- W3C's HTML Home Page - http://www.w3c.org/MarkUp/
- The latest HTML specifications from the World Wide Web Consortium.
- W3C HTML Validation Service - http://validator.w3.org/
- Check the HTML code of a document by entering its URL on this page.
- HTML Help by The Web Design Group - http://www.htmlhelp.com/
- Design guide, FAQ, a good tutorial on Cascading Style Sheets, and a RGB color code page.
- Web Style Sheets - http://www.w3.org/Style/
- The World Wide Web Consortium's style sheet specifications and links to more information.
- BUILDER.COM - Web authoring - Web development for 4.0 browsers - get started with cascading style sheets - http://builder.cnet.com/Authoring/CSS/index.html
- A good tutorial on Cascading Style Sheets with a reference guide and Style-o-Matic.
- HotWired: Webmonkey - http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/
- References and examples on HTML, Cascading Style Sheets, and programming.
- How to Set Up and Maintain a Web Site - http://waldo.wi.mit.edu/WWW/
- Includes extensive examples and links to resources.